[Written for a session at Greenbelt 2012. Intended to be performed].
And so we've come sit in a tent.
In a tent
On a land.
And did you sit with intent
On your seat
On that land?
For that land on which your seat was planned
Is different to any other land.
As it will affect how you'll
See
Hear
Respond to this session.
When you speak to someone
On some closeby land.
Rural isolation,
In the corner?
Urban buzz,
In the center?
Along the aisle -
easy access?
Or maybe Specially Reserved,
At the front?
Or check out my land
On the stage
Where everything is facing
I'm the West! Baby
I'm London - New York - Tokyo - Beijing
I'm the epicentre of attention
I'm on the Eden
Of Eden.
For I was promised promised land
Made of rocks and earth and sand
I wanna take part - can't you understand
This all depends on promised land?
See Greenbelt exists
On a political patchwork of land
Just as my tent
Might be pitched closer to the main site
Than your tent.
And Eden venue
Is not Mainstage
Or Big Top
But it's not indoors either
Where nobody goes
(Unless it's raining).
And where did we come from?
Across this land
Across this
E-N-G-land
This S-C-O-T-land
This... Wales
And further afield?
By being in Cheltenham
Does Greenbelt privilege
The already privileged South?
Tell me,
Who is excluded from this land?
See I want to believe
The original Eden
Had no boundaries.
But it had to
Because there was an
Inside
and an Outside,
Right?
Yet who gives us the authority
To divide the land up into little squares
And place market values on them
To buy and to sell
To lease and to develop
Commodifying the Earth?
Is ownership consistent with stewardship?
[Really?]
For I was promised promised land
Made of rocks and earth and sand
I wanna be included - can't you understand
This all depends on promised land?
Oftentimes we fight over the land
Playing Risk with the Google Earth
"The land is like your mother -
You don't sell your mother!"
I hear him say
Before the blank cheque that was offered
Is repocketed
And replaced with a gun
And a bulldozer
That disperses the community
Yet cannot erase the spot
Where she was born.
And where he died.
And where they went to school.
They cannot go back.
Their life's an unachievable pilgrimage
To the land wherein dwells
Their Dreams of Home.
For I was promised promised land
Made of rocks and earth and sand
I wanna go home - can't you understand
This all depends on promised land?
Once, we carved up Africa with a ruler
And planted flags
To claim the land
And stain the land.
And now, to the God of consumerists' convenience
We make a Land Sacrifice
From 30,000 feet up in the air -
Let's melt the ice caps
and flood pacific islands
Whilst burning and bleeding and raping the land
Reclaiming the land
By filling in the sea?!
What an irony,
What a tragedy
Cries the land.
Now, we grab the land
Grab Land Grabs!
Cos there's not enough
We want more
To grow our biofuels and GM crops
10% of South Sudan?
That'll do
Slice it up and ship it to Britain
For now,
We are importers of land.
For I was promised promised land
Made of rocks and earth and sand
I wanna 'have dominion' - can't you understand
This all depends on promised land?
Oh God of the land
You're the God of this land
Help me overcome my unbelief -
I don't want my life to be a waste-
land
So give me your grace-
land
Don't make me barren
Like barren-
land
Not parched and salty
Like in Jeremiah 17
I want to sustain
I want to bear fruit
I need the rain
(...See it's not just about the land,
But about the resources under
and over...)
So plant me, God
Water me
I want to be rooted
I want to be grounded
- Yet the King of Kings had no place to lie his head!
So what should I do?
For I was promised promised land
Made of rocks and earth and sand
I wanna be saved - can't you understand
This all depends on promised land?
The weird thing is
That sometimes we draw borders
Along a river's course;
But rivers change.
Just as continents get marked
Along tectonic plates;
But aren't these simply floating on a sea of lava?
Maybe we need to be more fluid,
Maybe we need to share
Maybe this is promised land
Everywhere.
No comments:
Post a Comment